11.14.2009

Dress Up {humble vegetables}

brooklyn, new york

I love my humble vegetables. We munch on them gratefully most week nights in our almost meatless home, though they are hardly the hero of my culinary world. But despite their demure demeanor, sometimes even they want to dress up and go to a party, dare to be the center of attention at Saturday supper among friends, such as this one we shared with our friend's Katie and Parker in their home in Brooklyn. We'd gathered to toast to their engagement, an occasion worthy of the finest feast. And, when I pulled these beauties from the earth just hours before, I got to thinking there's no finer feast than one you grew yourself. Dressed up on Katie and Parker's pretty plates on the table they now share, with a dollop of that sorrel pesto I told you about, I dare say these lowly vegetables are pretty enough to paint. If I had to choose, I think Juan Sánchez Cotán would have done it best, but being a Spaniard, he may not have approved of the pizza that followed.

3 comments:

Liz said...

Those pictures are gorgeous! And I'm sure tasted marvelous. Vegetables are lucky to be found by you.

@ScottyHendo said...

The best kind of chemicals to put into your body are phytochemicals. Vegetables and fruit can provide our bodies with far greater nutrients than anything else.

We love to roast vegetables in the oven and I love to cook them over a charcoal fire. Hmmmm, vegetables.

Edible Living said...

Humble veggies, playing dress up again in pretty pastries.

http://tastingtable.com/ecs/1605.htm?sid=499206

My photo
New York City, United States
Sarah Copeland is a food and lifestyle expert, and the author of Feast: Generous Vegetarian Meals for Any Eater and Every Appetite, and The Newlywed Cookbook. She is the Food Director at Real Simple magazine, and has appeared in numerous national publications including Saveur, Health, Fitness, Shape, Martha Stewart Living and Food & Wine magazines. As a passionate gardener, Sarah's Edible Living philosophy aims to inspire good living through growing, cooking and enjoying delicious, irresistible whole foods. She thrives on homegrown veggies, stinky cheese and chocolate cake. Sarah lives in New York with her husband and their young daughter.