9.10.2011

The Sweet Spot: Whole Wheat Semolina Peach Pancakes



hurley, ny

To say that I'm indecisive would be a grand understatement. For example, I can't decide which I love more, peach season or apple season. I can't decide if this post should be about the end of summer, or the beginning of fall, or whether I'll be baking peach upside down cake or tart tatin for tonight's dessert. 

Luckily, for a few more weeks, maybe even just two, I don't have to. We're in the sweet spot, those days when one season turns into another. The days when the last and most flavorful peaches show up at the market elbow to elbow with the first apples of the season. For a few more splendid days, us non deciders can have both. 

It is these days that are made for cooking. Peach pancakes for breakfast. Apple sauce simmering on the stove to savor warm from your favorite bowl as the nights turn cool.   

Since we have lots of time yet to talk about apples, let's end peach season with a strong finish. Here, for your Sunday brunch, the very pancakes that gave our weekend a perfectly peachy start. 

~
Whole Wheat-Semolina Peach Pancakes


1 2/3 cups white whole-wheat flour
2/3 cup semolina flour or finely ground cornmeal
2 tablespoons raw, organic sugar
1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon fine salt
1 cup organic milk
4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted
2 large organic eggs

2 to 3 ripe local peaches, peeled and thinly sliced
pure maple syrup, for serving



serves: four

  1. To make the pancakes, whisk together whole-wheat flour, semolina flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Whisk together the milk, melted butter and eggs in another bowl. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients, and whisk in the wet ingredients until just incorporated into a thick batter.

  1. Heat a nonstick griddle or heavy skillet over medium heat until a drop of water splashed on the pan sizzles. Brush the griddle lightly with melted butter. Use a 1/3-cup measure or a ladle to scoop pancake batter and drop it onto the hot pan, leaving about an inch or so between pancakes.

  1. When bubbles form around the edges of the pancake, lay a few slices of peach into the batter on each pancake, leaving plenty of space between the fruit. Use a flexible spatula to gently lift and flip the pancake. Continue cooking on the other side until the pancakes are golden brown around the edges, about 2 minutes. Repeat, adding more butter to the pan as needed. Butter and serve warm with extra peaches and a drizzle of maple syrup. 

5 comments:

Maris said...

I love peaches...but I'll have to go with apple season. For whatever reason I just adore the fall. I've already been apple picking and I have more than I know what to do with!

Mary Bergfeld said...

This sounds wonderful. This is my first visit to your blog, so I've taken some time to browse through your earlier posts. I'm so glad I did that. I love the food and recipes you share with your readers and I really enjoyed the time I spent here. I'll be back. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

sarah said...

Maris, what types have you been picking? We picked macs saturday and are going back for Cortland's next weekend so I admit, I'm already swaying more towards apple season now. Let me know if you make anything spectacular with them that shouldn't be missed. I always love hearing about beloved recipes.

Mary, thanks so much for stopping in and for your comment. I do hope to see and hear much more from you! Happy day to you too.

~ Sarah

daniegil said...

I'm looking forward to picking Macouns this Fall! I love baking pies, crisps and muffins. But lately I've been really craving cinnamon. Any ideas for an apple-y/cinnamon-y brunch item?

sarah said...

Danielle,

Oh so many things ~ homemade apple sauce, apple dumplings, apple turnovers, cider donuts (my buddy Bob developed a killer recipe for Food Network Magazine. Time consuming, but worth it!). Mmm, we made cinnamon apple sauce with organic macs today and the house still smells amazing!

My photo
New York City, United States
Sarah Copeland is a food and lifestyle expert, and the author of Feast: Generous Vegetarian Meals for Any Eater and Every Appetite, and The Newlywed Cookbook. She is the Food Director at Real Simple magazine, and has appeared in numerous national publications including Saveur, Health, Fitness, Shape, Martha Stewart Living and Food & Wine magazines. As a passionate gardener, Sarah's Edible Living philosophy aims to inspire good living through growing, cooking and enjoying delicious, irresistible whole foods. She thrives on homegrown veggies, stinky cheese and chocolate cake. Sarah lives in New York with her husband and their young daughter.